The Worm - Week 1

Tonight Channel Nine recorded the first session of the "worm". Our responses were gauged via handheld dials, which we turned in approval or disapproval as we watched 8.5 minutes of Colin Barnett and Geoff Gallop commencing their election campaigns with very little gusto and relying on far too much rhetoric.

The ALP are planning to run on the strength of a booming economy and low unemployment, which are probably more reflective of Howard's work, than Gallop's. The only truth in Gallop's opening election address that he could claim rightfully as their own was the strong lead the ALP has taken on the environment.

Meanwhile the State Libs are promising to run a "positive" campaign (we'll see) and to cut stamp duty on cars and reduce other taxes. But, paradoxically, Barnett won't commit to not raising taxes, even after being asked three times and the cock failing to crow! A case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, no doubt!

Amazingly, the Libs have managed to score a tremendous coup this week, by brokering a deal to end the Nurses dispute should they be elected. This single act might prove to be the Coalition's greatest election asset. They may win with that platform alone!

What can I say about the election thus far? Not much at all, unfortunately. But I'm committed to remaining objective throughout the next five weeks. I'm going to try and see politics through the eyes of average Joe Bloggs. I'm putting aside my left leaning beliefs and will move my dial responsibly over the next five weeks. I might even find myself conflicted about where to send my vote!

Accordingly, at this early stage and based solely on the performance of the two leaders this week, my preferred Premier is Geoff Gallop. And, without any clear policy breakthroughs I would vote for the Greens if today was election day.

No comments:

Post a Comment