Bullying

This week's Insight (SBS) program had me fighting back a lot of emotion and at one stage I had tears in my eyes. The topic: bullying, and the increasing use of technology as the bully's weapon of choice.

Several important points stuck in my mind from this episode, not only because I was subjected to bullying for many years, but also because I am mindful of the risk that my own child may be bullied or that she could bully others. I don't say that lightly, after all no parent would expect their child to be a bully, but I remind myself that most bullies will go home after school and those hurtful characteristics may never be seen until the beginning of the next school day.

What incensed me most during this episode of Insight, was the presence of some teenagers (two boys in particular) who admitted, sometimes jovially, to bullying other kids.

TIM PAPANICOLAOU and RHYS PUCHAR (corrected spelling 16 Jan 2014) just didn't seem to get "it" - that bullying, no matter in the form, timeframe, context or intention, is just plain and simple bullying .. and it is WRONG! These kids (they have a long way to go before they are mature enough to be called adults) made comments like:

"Is not how they dress and act provoking the bullying? Because I see that a lot. Lots of...how girls dress, it can provoke bullying from her peers."

"Yeah, that sort of attention, they bring it on themselves sometimes. And you might not see it that way but like when they're walking around the way they do, it's pretty obvious to like everyone else at school."

As if that defence hasn't been used a thousand times in rape and assault cases! This is a neanderthal mentality and I expect it came from neanderthal parents.

These two morons also attempt to justify their perverse behaviour by claiming that it is only words and someone would have to be pretty thin-skinned for it to affect them badly.

"If they mean like nothing to you why would you take offence to what they say to you?"

"We went to one of the biggest schools in WA, and you get what you take and you give a bit out as well, you know."

The most shocking point of the forum (and when I cried) was an interview with a 10yo boy who had attempted suicide after months of torment. Prior to showing this clip the boys had made comments suggesting that it isn't as serious as people are claiming, and that no-one really gets to the stage of taking their own life:

"I've never seen a case of a kid actually going over the top to be like really depressed about it."

"Yeah, but then they've got to have emotional problems on another level as well. How can you be bullied to the extent..."

Blaming the victim again! It is their own fault if they react badly to taunts and abuse! Hello??? Anyone home?

Perhaps the crux of the matter was highlighted when a member of the audience asked the boys .. "but why should you bully in the first place?". Rhys answered with "I don't know. I think just for entertainment. I don't know, I think it's just a male thing, I just think it's a human thing actually."

What sad little beings these boys are, getting kicks from beating their chest and filling the air with their testosterone! And what do their parents think of this? I would have liked their parents interviewed to see whether the acts of bullying were promoted or supported by the family environment or just their peers at school.

Unfortunately the Insight program always runs out of time just as the participants are getting into the meaty heart of the matter. This episode was no different and there should have been more emphasis on dientifying the root causes of bullying.

The producers could have easily ignored the attendance of Akmal Saleh (Comedian) who admitted he had no idea of why he was there, having had no personal experience of bullying and simply suggested that victims could overcome bullying by "finding humour and not showing that you're upset".

If he intended to make a joke of the topic he almost succeeded, if not for the serious approach of other participants. Poor form Saleh .. and shame on the producers for inviting him. What on earth were they thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment