When We Rise



When you speak of heroes I don't imagine soldiers in uniform on a battlefield, even though they risk their lives. 

And I don't think of firefighters, police, doctors, or nurses who are amazing every day by saving lives. 

And I scoff at the thought of that footballer you put on a pedestal and award a medal for having the right combination of genes and training.

No. They are not my heroes. 

When I think of a hero I remember the slaves that sang their way to freedom, the women that demanded suffrage, the voices that echoed around the world against segregation and apartheid, those that rallied against war, the patrons of Stonewall and the 76ers, and those that fight for refugees today. 

When you talk of heroes I think of all those that have risen up against tyranny, oppression, discrimination, bigotry and injustice armed only with their voices, their placards, their mortal bodies. 

Those are my people. 


They are my heroes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment