Australian Family Association

I went to one of their meetings once (in a business suit, removed my earring and placed my ring on my left hand to look as heterosexual as the next person!). The first thing that confronted me was that one wall had a giant wooden cross with some guy nailed to it ... I think it might have been the last poofter to have dared to try and infiltrate their inner sanctum.

The next thing that shocked me was 5 minutes of prayer asking for guidance and promoting love and peace etc ... then followed by a wave of intolerance and hate. The vilest of these people was Joan Torr.

Many people in WA would remember Joan as the elderly woman that was severely beaten and left for dead after a botched burglary in her home. After that she started a law and order campaign ("Joan Torr's Army") and was a candidate in a state election. She had a lot of support and I admired her courage. That is until the AFA meeting where I discovered her vile tongue and spiteful, ignorant mind!

I've never met anyone before, or since, that I would describe as being evil. I don't believe that people are inherently good or evil, those traits are learned behaviour. But she comes the closest to representing evil that I've ever encountered!

It was a very sad, but enlightening experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment