I'm not AWOL!


Despite the lack of any posts since last week, I'm not guilty of shirking my blog completely. Everyone needs a holiday. Even the toughest, most inconsiderate slave-driver would agree with that notion. So please consider the last few days as my well deserved long weekend.




I've had a an enjoyable time with friends from Sydney flying in to visit with us and joining in celebrating the end of our state's Pride festivities. Pride WA (originally Lesbian & Gay Pride, but now enjoying the benefits of a more inclusive name) celebrated its 15th annual parade, marking a turning point from protest march into a significant cultural event. The month long festival culminates in a street parade (second in size only to Sydney's Mardi Gras) and a dance party.



This year we were privileged to have a superb line-up of DJs to complement the excellent (although far too small) venue at Gilkinson's. Richard and I had the additional joy of being ambassadors to our friend DJ Ruby, who was undoubtedly the star of the "sKin-tite" party. His set went from 2am till 4pm and then he promptly jumped on a plane at 6am back to Sydney to play a 4pm set at Toybox! That is dedication :-)



Without a doubt it was the best Pride party I have experienced in Perth. I can say that even knowing that I was only one of the few hundred that arrived early enough to avoid the queue. Some people had to wait for hours due to licensing limitations and there was still a queue at 4.30am. Pride is deserved of the community backlash for this debacle, however, on behalf of those of us inside the main venue, thanks for a wonderful evening.



Now, back to reality ... did I miss anything?






[+/-] show/hide this post

No comments:

Post a Comment